Friday, August 23, 2013

Clínica Esperanza



In the last post, I wrote about Global Healing and the Roatán Volunteer Pediatric Clinic, where I’ll be interning most of the day during my time in Roatán. After RVPC closes in the afternoon, however, I’ll be volunteering at Clínica Esperanza.

When I was in Roatán in May, I went by Clínica Esperanza (“Hope Clinic”) on a whim to see if I could just check it out. My mom, my friend Elyssa, and I walked shyly into the reception area (me first, mom and Elyssa no hablan mucho español…), but once we were inside we found there was no reason to be shy. The receptionist greeted us warmly and found Karla, the sweetest, kindest, friendliest nurse I’ve ever met. She spoke mostly in Spanish, but tried to speak some English to help my mom and Elyssa understand (mom was very thankful). Nurse Karla gave us a tour of the facility and told us a little bit about how it started. Peggy Stranges, an American nurse who had previously volunteered in Roatán, permanently relocated to the island in 2001. Nurse Karla told us that when Nurse Peggy arrived on the island, locals learned she was a nurse and came to her for medical advice, and thus the idea for the clinic was born. It began in the basement of her home, and then was moved to a church, then eventually moved into it’s own freestanding facility. And folks, this facility is really quite lovely.

Clínica Esperanza’s services include a walk-in medical clinic, women's health center, pediatrics inpatient hospital, birthing center (brand new!), and adult and pediatrics dental clinics with support from a laboratory and pharmacy. They also have outreach clinics and community health education programs. All of these services are low-cost/no-cost to their patients. It's about $5 for a visit, but Nurse Karla told us that no one is ever turned away because they cannot pay. Sometimes they just pay a portion if they can. Sometimes they pay nothing and say they will pay later when they have the money, which sometimes happens and sometimes does not. The clinic runs on donations and has a permanent staff (like Nurse Karla, who is from Roatán) and volunteer doctors, nurses, and students who come and go. This is a great, brief video about Clínica Esperanza and Nurse Peggy:



I feel very fortunate to be able to see two different kinds of healthcare outreach during my time in Roatán. The clinics seem so different (the public hospital where RVPC is located is a concrete slab of a building the bustling “downtown” area, Clínica Esperanza is air conditioned…). I am less certain about what I will be doing with Clínica Esperanza, but I’m really interested in learning more about the outreach programs they offer; public health and health education sounds right up my alley. I also hope that I can lend my language skills to any volunteers who don’t speak Spanish.

Like RVPC, Clínica Esperanza is always looking for medical and financial donations, so if you’re interested in learning more about how you can support the clinic, contact me or check out ClinicaEsperanza.org.


Oh yeah… two weeks from tomorrow I’ll be on a plane!!

No comments:

Post a Comment